Friday, March 23, 2012

New Era Commercial

Continuing with my current streak of analyzing commercials, I decided to analyze the New Era Commercial featuring Alec Baldwin and John Krasinski. What makes this ad different from many of the others that I have previously discussed in the blog is that, while many of the other commercials employ a variety of appeals, including logos, ethos, and pathos. This commercial focuses entirely on its appeal to pathos and, I might add, does a great job of giving the reader a good laugh.

Before beginning, it is good to note the commercial does make an indirect appeal to ethos, especially in reference to the ethos of both Baldwin and Krasinski as well-paid actors and renowned funny-men. However, this ethos isn’t highly emphasized in the ad itself; the majority of the focus revolves around the humor of the character’s behavior.

The commercial begins with Baldwin running to Krasinski's apartment, and decking him in the face. The initial action of this character brings about chuckles and, Baldwin's justification for his actions adds all the more to the hilarity of the commercial. The two characters banter between each other, and it is later revealed that Baldwin’s actions were a result of a major lack of communication, in which he believes that the Yankees lost their game. Krasinski, a die-hard Red Sox fan is demonstrated as being far from pleased with the outcome, and even less pleased with Baldwin’s hot-headed actions.

While the commercial was full of comedy and gags, it is important to note, however, that the actual product that the company was advertising for, baseball caps, was only briefly mentioned. The advertisement leaves the viewer laughing but also very unclear as to what its purpose was.

Overall, while this commercial was entertaining, there is no doubt that its rhetorical appeals could be greatly strengthened. Still, if you like the humor in both 30 Rock and The Office, I would definitely recommend checking out the advertisement below!

3 comments:

  1. I thought the name of your video was "One Hitler" for a ...okay, for longer than I should have, but no worries! The confusion has passed! I really wish I had headphones so I could watch this commercial...your recommendation is hard to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, I agree with your post; the ethos is evident but the message of the commercial isn't. I think Baldwin and Krasinski are funny guys. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm headphone-less, too, so I can't get the fullness of the post. I'm an Office fan, so I'll have to revisit this to check out the commercial again.

    ReplyDelete